Kakinada is the head quarters of East Godavari District and it is located in the north coast of Andhra Pradesh. The district boundaries are West Godavari, Visakhapatnam, Khammam District and the Bay of Bengal. The District is known as “The rice bowl of Andhra Pradesh”. The lush green fields, thick mango grooves, and the coconut trees of this “Konaseema” District resembles Kerala.
As an educational centre, Kakinada has many credits. Govt. Girl’s Polytechnic of Kakinada is the first Girl’s Polytechnic Institute established in Asia. JNTU Engineering College and Medial Colleges, Andhra Polytechnic for Boy’s A. S Govt. Women’s College, are well known Government Educational Institutes.
Kakinada is flanked by two of the five famous aramas, Kumaraarama at Samalkot and Draksharama which is also known as Dakshina Kasi is 35 kms from Kakinada. These temples reflect grandeur of Eastaern Chalukyan architecture. Konaseema consisting a row of rich villages is connected by road to Kakinada. Jagan Mohini temple at Ryali and Satyanarana Swamy temple at Annavaram are famous pilgrim centres.
Godavari basin is rich with oil resources, a ONGC has it is based at Rajahmundry started drilling oil at different villages of East Godavari District. Delta people for divulging the river water for irrigation purpose adored Sir Arthur
Cotton Architect of Godavari Barrage. Pithapuram, Which is 15 kms away from
Kakinada, is known as seat of learning and ancient culture having famous kukkuteswara temple which also known a padagaya.
Quite often cyclones hit this coastal town without causing devestations as the hope island in the sea protects and prevents the tidal waves hitting the shore. Kakinada citizens and the people nearby villages prefer to have their academic training at P.R.Govt.College as the ideals of Maharaja in establishing the Institution are being continued till to date.
Pithapuram Rajah’s College, kakinada ranks among the earliest institutions of Higher Education in South India. It is located in East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh. P.R.Govt.College was established in August 1884 by Sri Rajah Rao Venkata Mahipathi, Gangadhara Rama Rao Bahadur. First it was started as a middle school, and became a full fledged College. The present District Central Library, Super Bazaar and DEO’s Office were part of P.R.College campus once.
P.R.College has two campuses, Science College campus is near main road and Arts College Campus with sprawling grounds of nearly 28 acres is situated near Government General Hospital. Mclaurin High School is on the eastern side, District Collectors Office, Zillaparishad and CBM School are on the western side of P.R.College. P.R.College is the first college to encourage women’s education with total exemption of fee for girl students. Girl students were given many incentives to pursue their higher education.
In 1952 , when the college was taken over by the Government, it became P.R.Govt.College. This century old college has its centenary celebrations in March, 1984. Considering the development of P.R.Govt. College, UGC conferred autonomous status, with the concurrence of Andhra University and the approval of the Government of Andhra Pradesh. The college became autonomous with effect form the academic year 2000-2001. Citizens of Kakinada town regard P.R.Govt. College as their precious possession.