BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
P.R.Govt. Degree College, (Autonomous) was established in 1884 by Pithapuram Maharaja, Sri. R.V.KM. SURYARAO BAHADUR MAHARAJ.
The department was established in 1929, BA group with Zoology as an optional and in the year 1930, B.Sc group with Zoology as main subject was offered. When Andhra University was established in 1926, the department was affiliated to Andhra University. In 1952, when the college was taken over by the Government, it became P.R Govt. college.
After the college opted for Autonomous System in 2001, the department has started the restructured course in Biotechnology with Zoology combination form 2001-2002. Many students from this group are pursuing Academic research in various universities at present
The department of Zoology started New VOCATIONAL DEGREE COURSE in COMMERCIAL AQUACULTURE, under the guidelines of UGC 12th plan 2014-2015. This group caters to the needs of the local aquaculture community. Most of the students of outgoing batch got job opportunities in reputed Aquaculture farms and industries last year
The Department of Zoology has started PG Course in M.Sc Zoology from Academic year 2015-2016. The out gone batch of 2017 achieved 100% pass percentage and some of them got jobs as lecturers in some private institutions.
The Department of Zoology always responded to the local needs and introduced new courses accordingly. Mr. P. John Kiran is pursuing higher studies on FDP. Dr. B. Elia competed a Minor Research project in Mar, 2017 Dr. N. Srinivas is monitoring one Minor Research Project at present.